FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

Hello from Scotland

If you so choose, place your introduction here, and again - we do Welcome you to FORCES. Also, please note that The Tavern has a LIVE CHAT feature, just click on the link above!

Hello from Scotland

Postby highlander » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Just got registered on here today so thought I'd say hello!

Some of you will know me from the F2C forum in Britain.

Looks like I have a lot to read here :-)
Anyway, nice to be here.

Oh, since i'm new here I'm not sure of the way things work yet but here is a story from Monroe County you can comment on about banning smoking in cars.
highlander

Postby chuckles » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Glad you made it highlander.
chuckles

Postby tnsmoker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Welcome, Highlander!
Smoke'em if ya got'em!
tnsmoker

Postby Harlow » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:56 am

Most welcome, highlander.
Harlow

Postby DancingTigerBait » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:47 am

Hi, highlander! Good to see you here at the Tavern. :-)
DancingTigerBait

Postby Phil Williams » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:33 am

A US article that Highlander linked on his introduction on the Forces Tavern mentioned "Smoking education class" as an alternative to paying a fine. I dread to imagine where this is going, if smokers can one day be coerced with threat of fine into attending these clases, slowly the fines will be increased and the length of the classes extended. Before we know it we'll have Health education centres for correcting the minds of all people that fail to follow health party doctrine. GULAG springs to mind.
If we won the war, why are we ruled by nazis?
Phil Williams

Postby highlander » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks for welcome everyone. :)

Re the article I posted and Phil has commented on what is the protocol for posting news articles on here? What section should they go on? I often find US articles that allow comments but no one seems to comment. Or maybe they do and they get censored like we find sometimes!

A great link for finding stories is

www.newsnow.co.uk Even though it's a uk site it brings back International stories. I just type smoking in the search box and away you go!
highlander

Postby richlady248 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:37 pm

Nice link, Highlander. I also extend a cordial welcome to you. BTW when I tried this link just now and searched "smoking" the first article that came up was regarding Louisville, KY (USA), and it's good news. Louisville businesses ignoring smoking ban and refusing to pay fines:

http://wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=7281833

Also, Highlander, I don't know if this is what you meant about posting articles, but I'm going to go ahead and cut and paste here the article that goes with this link. As you know, sometimes after a while the link becomes ineffective, and posting the full text here is the best way to insure we have a record of it somewhere. Here it is --

Many businesses ignoring smoking ban, fines
Oct 29, 2007 06:01 PM EST
By Scott Harvey
WAVE 3 Investigator

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- One local business has been cited 23 times under the city's smoke-free ordinance and hasn't paid one penny, while other business owners say the ordinance is unconstitutional and continue to fight it in court. WAVE 3 Investigator Scott Harvey has more.

As of Oct. 29, 2007, the Metro Health Department has handed out 121 citations since the ban went into effect in July. We wanted to find out if fines were the only punishment business owners face -- and how those business owners feel about the ban.

Bar owner Dave Hoffmann has plenty of messages for the mayor and the city on how he feels about the smoking ban, and the thought of that the bar he loves could be taken away.

"It could happen, but I'm at the point right now that I don't really care," said Hoffman, who owns the Old Hickory Inn. "This city can go to hell as far as I'm concerned."

Since the smoking ban took effect in July, the Health Department has issued over 10 dozen citations. We obtained a copy of the list, which includes several repeat offenders.

The Bingo Palace on Dixie Highway has been cited 23 times; Highview Manor Bingo has been cited nine times; and the River City Turners, the Buechel Youth Football League, and the Louisville Lady Sluggers have received four citations each.

According to the Health Department, The Bingo Palace owes over $7,000 in fines, but has yet to pay a cent.

"Some of the operators are resistant to the ordinance, but as a department we are charged to enforce it, and that's what we're going to do," said Luckner Jean-Marie, the Environmental Health Supervisor for The Metro Health Department.

Hoffmann has been cited three times for allowing smoking at the Old Hickory Inn. He still thinks the ban in unconstitutional and admits he doesn't enforce it.

"It's not really bothering me that much, because I made it pretty well clear that I was going to allow smoking," Hoffmann said.

We contacted the mayor's office, and asked if fines were the only form of punishment available for businesses and organizations that refuse to go smoke-free. City officials told us they are conducting an investigation to see if action can be taken against an organization's charitable gaming license or a business's liquor license.

Hoffmann says he's already received a letter from the city, threatening to take his license away. "We talked to a lawyer when this first started," Hoffman said, "and they said they can threaten all they want to, but the state is the only one that can take it away."

Even though the ban is still being enforced by the city, several owners are still fighting it and are currently waiting for their appeals to be heard.

Click here for a complete list of businesses that have been cited for violating the smoking ban. [Must click on article link above for this].

Again, Highlander, I don't know what the Protocol is, or what kinds of articles you mean. Most people just go ahead and post things on the Tavern (just post a new topic under the headline that seems most closely related). If anybody objected otherwise, we trust we'd be informed.

Once again, I just adore this link you provided and I'm putting it into my favorite places :) www.newsnow.co.uk
richlady248

Postby DancingTigerBait » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi, highlander! :-) I left a comment on that article:

DTB wrote:Are people insane enough to believe this? Allowing the government to intrude into a private *car* over something like smoking a cigarette?! This has truly become disociated from reality. If the gov't wanted to start an awareness campaign that'd be one thing,. Geez, and then people wonder why liberty and civility are slipping away.
DancingTigerBait

Postby Phil Williams » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:18 am

DTB,
Our comments have been removed from the article. It seems they don't want comments to influence future voters. Democratic debate at its best.
If we won the war, why are we ruled by nazis?
Phil Williams

Postby DancingTigerBait » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:43 am

Phil Williams wrote:DTB,
Our comments have been removed from the article. It seems they don't want comments to influence future voters. Democratic debate at its best.

Why am I not surprised?

To be honest, I still think it's worth making those comments. After a while, the *people* who have to remove a bazillion comments just to maintain an antismoking media will start to get the idea that the world isn't quite as they've tried to make it. In other words, even if our comments don't influence a thousand readers, we might influence one or two media people. Just one or two at a time can build. It isn't the same as having our insightful comments out there for all to see, but it might do some good anyway.
DancingTigerBait

Return to Introductions Section