FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

Adios

If you so choose, place your introduction here, and again - we do Welcome you to FORCES. Also, please note that The Tavern has a LIVE CHAT feature, just click on the link above!

Adios

Postby neversurrender » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Hello Everyone,
Since the site software has erased six lengthy, time consuming articles for me, I see I am not supposed to enjoy this site.
I wish all of you the best of luck
NEVERSURRENDER
neversurrender

Re: Adios

Postby __-Steve-__ » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Not sure what you mean; your post count is 6 and I can see all of them, is that incorrect?
__-Steve-__
Webmaster

Postby neversurrender » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 pm

I logged on each day from last Monday through yesterday, spent four to six hours keyboarding and editing articles for posting, and told the software to submit. I was then presented with the login page requiring me to log in again. After I re-logged in I returned to the previous page and was presented with a blank - my article having disappeared.
NEVERSURRENDER
neversurrender

Postby azmac » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:41 pm

I did a search and all that came up under adios was the posts that you see in this group (3) If I cna not see them as a normal member then neither can any other normal member.
azmac

Postby WinstonSmith » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I logged on each day from last Monday through yesterday, spent four to six hours keyboarding and editing articles for posting, and told the software to submit. I was then presented with the login page requiring me to log in again. After I re-logged in I returned to the previous page and was presented with a blank - my article having disappeared.

Neversurrender, I think we've all had that happen at some time or another. I understand how frustrating it can be. Basically, you were idle for so long that that site signed you out.

If you're going to write something long, I suggest using notepad (start-->programs-->accessories-->notepad) to type what you want, then copy and paste it here when you're done.

(Also, Internet Explorer will not let you get what you wrote back, but Mozilla Firefox will if you just hit the back button.)

Otherwise, I think every site logs out a user after they've been sitting idle for some time. I know how frustrating it is to lose something you worked on, though. It's happened to me also.
WinstonSmith
Trusted Activist

Postby Rose » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:59 am

Neversurrender

It happened to me regularly, but now I am ready for its little tricks and put everything down on notepad first.
Its a battle of wits and I refuse to be defeated by an overly officious programme.
Rose

Postby Ariel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:57 am

Certainly happened to me too -- not just on this site but on lots of others. It really makes you mad because the more time you put into composing something -- the greater the chances you get bumped for taking too much time. Over the years, my most thoughtful emails are the ones that never got sent. :( I too have learned to compose elsewhere and copy and paste.

Just a bump in the road neversurrender.
Ariel

Postby __-Steve-__ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Neversurrender, that is not the site software it is a server setting from our internet service provider. When you log on to any site it creates a 'session cookie' on the server that holds your log in information (so that you don't have to log in again on every page). Obviously the server would soon get clogged up if they didn't delete these cookies frequently. Each time you change page on the site the cookie is updated with a new timestamp but when you are on one page for a long time the server assumes that you have left the site and the cookie expires.

This is how all servers work and the 'session' timeouts are typically set between 30 minutes and an hour.
__-Steve-__
Webmaster

Postby jredheadgirl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

...Same thing happened to me when I was taking an online class @ UCLA. Arghhhhhhh! I was typing out an essay and I had spent a LOT of time on it......and I was quite proud of my hard work.....then all of a sudden: Poof. Gone.

I learned the hard way never to let that happen again. I was so pissed.
jredheadgirl

Postby azmac » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:18 pm

__-Steve-__ wrote:Neversurrender, that is not the site software it is a server setting from our internet service provider. When you log on to any site it creates a 'session cookie' on the server that holds your log in information (so that you don't have to log in again on every page). Obviously the server would soon get clogged up if they didn't delete these cookies frequently. Each time you change page on the site the cookie is updated with a new timestamp but when you are on one page for a long time the server assumes that you have left the site and the cookie expires.

This is how all servers work and the 'session' timeouts are typically set between 30 minutes and an hour.

Something I had never heard before. Good to know. Learn something new every day.
azmac

Postby jredheadgirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 am

Damn cookies....hehe... I thought that they were something that you were supposed to eat. :D
jredheadgirl

Return to Introductions Section