FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

Discrimination!

If you so choose, place your introduction here, and again - we do Welcome you to FORCES. Also, please note that The Tavern has a LIVE CHAT feature, just click on the link above!

Discrimination!

Postby neversurrender » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Hello Everyone,
While reviewing the comments to my introduction, (all of which I appreciated,) "Ariel" asked me to what I am particularly opposed. My primary complaint at the present time is that I am being treated worse than those in the black community were ever treated during the height of segregation - all because I smoke! During the worst years of segregation black folks had places to which they could go to eat, drink, smoke, dance, and, in general, have a good time. That isn't an option for me and I strongly resent it! There is no scientific proof that smoking harms anyone other than the smoker! And, I might add, scientific proof for that is stretched a great deal. I am not ignorant enough to argue that prolonged smoking, (over a period of many years,) will harm some who smoke, (mainly those who smoke tobacco grown commercially which has been inundated with herbicides, pesticides and God only knows what else,) rather than smoking tobacco that has been grown organically. But it stretches the limits of my imagination to understand how the majority of our population has fallen for the out-and-out lie that so-called "second hand smoke" is harmful. Since I have not abrogated my right to think nor have I surrendered my ability to read, research and understand the world around me, I absolutely refuse to be taken in by the pure propaganda to which most of my fellow Americans have fallen prey. We live at a time when the vast majority of all politicians, (local, state or federal,) are bought and paid for by one special interest group or another and it is obvious to anyone who possesses an IQ greater than -6 that the big pharmaceutical companies have bought their share of the elected representatives who are supposed to represent US! These are the ones leading the effort to implement anti-smoking regulations. I shudder to think how many billions of dollars are being made by pharmaceutical companies who produce quite dangerous products to help people who have become convinced they should quit smoking! So it certainly is in those same companies' interest to continue to convince as many people as possible that something so innocent as "second hand smoke" is harmful. What to do about the situation? For most of my life I have maintained one solution for a great many of the problems I have encountered. Since I live in a society that is motivated mostly by greed, I remove my money. I have always liked bars and restaurants, and while the money I used to spend in these kinds of establishments has never been enough to cause the owners to retire early, it has accrued to a sizeable amount. Over the last year I have been visiting, on a regular basis, those bars and restaurants in which I used to spend money and in which I am known, to remind management of the money they are losing by their mindless acquiescence to those who control the legal tyranny in which we live. I was recently told by one bar owner that I could come back to his establishment and smoke as much as I cared to - and he asked to tell my friends they could do so as well. I have and I did. Profit in this bar have risen almost 9 percent in 2 weeks. If all of us who smoke were to remove our financial resources from all the places in which we can no longer enjoy ourselves (bearing in mind that we still have to buy groceries, etc.,) we could do enough damage so that more owners would tell us to return to their places of business and smoke as much as we like.
Doug
NEVER SURRENDER
neversurrender

Postby Rose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Doug,

As far as I can find out , the really nasty stuff was started by our Chief Medical Officer.

"Godber recollected that he had said in 1962 to Keith Joseph, another of his Conservative ministers, that "we really have to do something about abolishing smoking" (having won the approval of the Health Minister Enoch Powell). Joseph looked quite shocked and said: "You really can't expect to abolish smoking." Godber replied:
"No, but I want to see it reduced to an activity of consenting adults in private."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 07201.html

After Doll's study a lot of people did give up, but some people would keep insisting on making up their own minds , there was a lot of dispute over that study from environmental scientists who blamed industry and vehicle fumes.

Well this wasn't good enough for Sir George.

Secondhand Smoke & Mirrors
"In 1975, British delegate Sir George Godber informed the World Health Organization how to get smokers to quit: foster an atmosphere where it was perceived that active smokers would injure those around them, especially their family and infants or young children who would be exposed involuntarily to the smoke in the air."
http://iarnuocon.newsvine.com/_news/200 ... roupId=669

After that it seems to have turned into something of a free-for-all.

I've tried to piece some of it together here.

The Denormalization Campaign
viewtopic.php?f=363&t=2932&start=0

"In practice, denormalization means that the government attempts to shame adults into changing their behaviour. For the government's denormalization campaign to succeed these adults must be stigmatised; that is, they will be placed apart from the rest of civilised society until and unless they learn to behave in the approved manner."
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=10322

It came as a shock to me too.
Rose

Re: Discrimination!

Postby Ariel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Good for you neversurrender!! Since the smoking ban in my state I do not eat or drink where I can't smoke. I feel for the bar owners who are forced to comply with the law -- but, like you, my money stays in my pocket. It's a matter of principle!

I would really recommend that you investigate the question of the positive health effects of smoking -- You might begin with the Smoking is good for you thread here at forces.

viewtopic.php?f=354&t=1283

I would pay particular attention to nightlight's posts on that thread.
Ariel

Postby neversurrender » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Ariel,
I read as you suggested and found it to be MOST enlightening. Anyone who says an old dog can't learn new tricks just doesn't know the old dog. Thanks!
Doug
NEVER SURRENDER
neversurrender

Postby WinstonSmith » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 am

You're a welcome breath of fresh air for all of us, Douglas. Thanks so much for finding us and posting.

Encore! More! Let it fly if you're inclined to post something, Douglas, or respond to other posts. You're singing our song!
WinstonSmith
Trusted Activist

Return to Introductions Section