FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

Hi everyone

If you so choose, place your introduction here, and again - we do Welcome you to FORCES. Also, please note that The Tavern has a LIVE CHAT feature, just click on the link above!

Hi everyone

Postby 5aday » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a college student and smoker living in Oklahoma, and have become extremely distressed at how every day it appears as if more of the freedoms I take for granted are being slowly taken away from me. First with Oklahoma's ban on smoking in restaurants (fortunately I can still smoke in bars, although the state is now trying to outlaw that to), then with the SCHIP tax increase, and now with the possible ban on mail order tobacco (this one really scares me, the government not allowing consumers access to the business of their choice is unconstitutional).

I usually smoke 5-7 MYO cigarettes a day purely for pleasure, I've never really felt "addicted to smoking" like some anti's would lead me to believe. The research I have read here along with other places and from looking at the true statistics without the biased viewpoint of the health industry, as well as my own personal beliefs, have lead me to believe I'm only increasing my enjoyment of life by smoking, with only a very small to nonexistent "risk" factor.

Anyway just wanted to say hello, and formally introduce myself.

Have a great day!
5aday

Postby WinstonSmith » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Welcome, 5aDay. Please feel free to post frequently. Plenty of room to share your mind here.

I recommend the book "For Your Own Good: The Anti-Smoking Crusade and the Tyranny of Public Health" by Jacob Sullum, unless of course you've already read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Own-Good-Ant ... 0684827360
WinstonSmith
Trusted Activist

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 am

Hi 5aday!

I assume that if you are in college, you are a young adult. Perhaps you can speak a little to this question --

College aged people have some of the highest smoking rates -- yet I've seen very little pro-smoking activism in that group. I can think of lots of reasons for that -- but what I can't think of is how to reach that age-group and have them understand what these erosions of freedoms mean.

Any thoughts on that?
Ariel

Postby Phil Williams » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:20 am

Hi 5aday and greetings from across the pond. This is a global problem and if we are to combat it successfully we must unite into a global resistance, and that is exactly what we are doing with forces international and TICAP.
Welcome to the war for your future freedom. Best regards from HairyChestnuts.

PS: If you've got a video camera (and the inclination), please feel free to try your hand at making videos exposing the lies of tobacco control. We could do with some young guns on the multimedia. I'm a bit old to reach your generation with my rubbish. :wink:
If we won the war, why are we ruled by nazis?
Phil Williams

Postby Harlow » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:01 am

Welcome 5aday. So glad you're here.
Harlow

Postby NonSonoStrana » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Saday, and welcome...

I lived in Oklahoma and have family there still ...

Keep us posted on what's going on, because my family doesn't get the info. I hope to visit them next year.

I'm still registered to vote there (living in Switzerland - married to a Swiss) and as soon as I get information on changes in the smoking laws, I will write to my senator and rep, but it's very hard to get information. I really hope you can - before any stealth votes take place.

There was once a Forces Oklahoma but it's inactive due to apathy. Maybe you can reinvigorate it.

If you do get some info - could you start an Oklahoma "thread?"

What college do you attend?

Looking forward to hearing anything about you and what's going on there!
NonSonoStrana

Postby 5aday » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 am

Glad everyone enjoys the fact that I'm here. In response to Ariel's question I think most college aged smokers are generally to busy worrying about grades, and studying to have the time to get involved in the pro-smoking movement. Keep in mind also that most college students, (including myself) get their news through the internet and social networking groups (i.e. facebook, twitter). Does forces have a youtube channel? If not, (I've never seen one) then that would be an easy way to inform large groups of people, and, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to simply transfer some of the videos from the multimedia section of forces to youtube.

NonSonoStrana it's look like the proposal to strengthen the oklahoma ban to bars and other places has died in committee but I'm sure it will be back. The main argument against it was many restaurants have invested a lot of money in separately ventilated "smoking rooms" (the only way restaurants can still allow smoking)if the new proposed ban were to pass all of those people would've have wasted their money. I attend the university of oklahoma, there is a resolution coming up for vote on a possible outdoor smoking ban for my university, Oklahoma State has already become a completely tobacco free campus (one of the many reasons I choose OU). The town I live in is currently looking at banning smoking in public parks. It seems to me Oklahoma could become the next California within a few years.
5aday

Postby NonSonoStrana » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am

Saday, glad to hear the bill died in committee - on top of all the other usurpations of rights - to have places spend so much and then be stabbed in the back.

Maybe the truth about SHS and the corruption of the antis will finally start to come out in the meantime.

I graduated from OU, although also attended OSU and OCU.
NonSonoStrana

Postby Phil Williams » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi again 5aday, forces does have a youtube channel but it's relatively new.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FORCESInternational
Phil Williams

Postby Phil Williams » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Oh I forgot (how on earth I managed that I don't know) there's also my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/HairyChestnuts
Phil Williams

Postby jredheadgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Welcome 5 A Day! I'm a 5 a day smoker too. I'm also in band (shameless self promotion) that maybe some of your friends would dig: www.myspace.com/firebug.

We're all trying to find a way to fight back this erosion of personal liberties. I am confident that together we all really can make a difference.

Glad to have you here! :lol:

Juliette
jredheadgirl

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow - very nice, jredheadgirl. I wish you much success!

(Remove the period from the end of your link.)
Ariel

Postby jredheadgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:47 pm

jredheadgirl wrote:Welcome 5 A Day! I'm a 5 a day smoker too. I'm also in band (shameless self promotion) that maybe some of your friends would dig: www.myspace.com/firebug.

We're all trying to find a way to fight back this erosion of personal liberties. I am confident that together we all really can make a difference.

Glad to have you here! :lol:

Juliette

D'oh! www.myspace.com/firebug
jredheadgirl

Postby 5aday » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Well I didn't know where to post this, so I'm posting it here. Another one of my rights has been taken away, mostly due to the apathy of others. OU has voted for a complete outdoor ban on smoking on campus to take affect next year. I voted no, as did all of my other friends, who are smart enough to realize when something has been taken way to far. At least I won't be living in the dorms next year, so it won't affect me as much. I still have no idea how they will enforce that. The voter turnout for this year was extremely poor, some positions are vacant simply because no one ran for them, and no one voted. The only good thing that came out of the election, at least in my opinion, is the addition of a sexual orientation discrimination clause.
5aday

Postby jredheadgirl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 pm

5aday wrote:Well I didn't know where to post this, so I'm posting it here. Another one of my rights has been taken away, mostly due to the apathy of others. OU has voted for a complete outdoor ban on smoking on campus to take affect next year. I voted no, as did all of my other friends, who are smart enough to realize when something has been taken way to far. At least I won't be living in the dorms next year, so it won't affect me as much. I still have no idea how they will enforce that. The voter turnout for this year was extremely poor, some positions are vacant simply because no one ran for them, and no one voted. The only good thing that came out of the election, at least in my opinion, is the addition of a sexual orientation discrimination clause.

You and your friends can always pass out flyers as a way of educating your fellow students. Then maybe you can get it overturned:-)

Keep the faith.
jredheadgirl

Next

Return to Introductions Section