FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

Apologies from New York

If you so choose, place your introduction here, and again - we do Welcome you to FORCES. Also, please note that The Tavern has a LIVE CHAT feature, just click on the link above!

Apologies from New York

Postby Goatherd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:15 am

Hi,

I'm a smoker and have been living in NYC for nearly 20 years, all of them great except the last few ones, which have been deeply miserable. I have known about forces for a while, but didn't know about the tavern. I am heartened to find others who haven't given up the fight.

First of all, I would like to extend my heartfelt apologies to all smokers around the world for the grievous global campaign driven by the deep-pockets and megalomania of our dear mayor.

(This week, that tyrant is attempting a coup in NYC, conniving with the city council to unilaterally overturn term limits established by referendum and stand for election again. We gave him two chances to ruin our fair city, and he still hasn't had enough and wants to have a third chance to destroy it some more, and is prepared to ride roughshod over his opponents to do so. An enemy of liberty, an enemy of democracy, a billionaire with too much time on his hands wanting to make what was once the greatest city on earth into his personal plaything. :( )
It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on earth.
Goatherd

Postby gilster » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:27 am

Hi Goatherd, welcome to the Tavern.

Bloomberg is a Bloomingidiot.

New Yorkers should be fighting his third term goals tooth and nail.
But I kind of like him stuck in NYC, it keeps him away from doing major damage world wide, although he's getting his hands into that moreso too.
gilster

Postby Dee » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:36 am

some new yorkers opinion of bloomberg are here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york ... mberg.html
Dee

Postby Goatherd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

gilster wrote:But I kind of like him stuck in NYC, it keeps him away from doing major damage world wide, although he's getting his hands into that moreso too.

I was half-fearing that too. Nothing worse than an idle billionaire with a pet cause.

It doesn't seem to have stopped him. He has hooked up the WHO with $120 million to go foist lifestyle bans throughout the world. F****. You'd think they have more important stuff to do, like addressing real diseases, epidemics & stuff? But I guess since the World Bank basically took over that function, the WHO has been scrambling for busy work to excuse the continuation of its worthless bureaucracy.

Dee wrote:some new yorkers opinion of bloomberg are here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york ... mberg.html

I'm kinda glad he's trying to make such a grab. Wakes up the electorate to the kind of megalomaniac we're dealing with.

We pay him $1 a year. Sadly, we get what we pay for. :(
It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on earth.
Goatherd

Postby Phil Williams » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Goatherd, welcome from misserable Britain. I can well imagine your misery, we've only had our facist regime for little over a year now, and its killing the country (financially and socialy). Where once we enjoyed freedom within our tradional pubs (many dating back hundreds of years), we now live in abject misery and issolation. And while the boards are nailed over the doors and windows of our beloved pubs, the antis get rich on our hard earned taxes. They are parasites that in this time of economic crisis should (and eventually will) be brought to book for their crimes.

Regards, Phil (aka, HairyChestnuts)
If we won the war, why are we ruled by nazis?
Phil Williams

Postby chuckles » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Goatherd welcome from another person living in miserable Britain. I also hate Bloomberg with a passion and feel despair if he gets successful with his plans.
chuckles

Postby Harlow » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:23 am

Welcome from Alabama, Goatherd. The statewide ban died on the senate floor this year but I expect it to pop up again next year. We still have some wonderful smokey bars around, but restaurants and bars aren't doing much business lately and some have already closed. The financial crisis has hit hard here, with people not going out as much. It may turn around a bit with holidays coming up. So far, that I know of are Tellini's restaurant and Lucianos restaurant - closed. LinensNThings - filed bankruptcy. Bill Heard Chevrolet - closed 12 offices in the southeast, approx 2700 people laid off. I'm sure there are more that I don't know of. I've also heard of closings in CA.
Harlow

Postby Ariel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Hey Goatherd! Welcome to the Tavern.
Ariel

Postby WinstonSmith » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:54 am

I'm probably wrong on this, and I hope I am, but if I'm not, remember that you heard it here first.

If Bloomberg manages to get term limits set aside, it is likely to start a pattern of term limits being overturned around the country.

This will, of course, further invest power within interests who already have it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, as the saying goes.

I have no evidence for this beyond the tendency for patterns to take a foothold in NYC (like smoking bans) and spread out from there. Also, it just seems to fit the general downward trend taking place in the nation over the past several years.
WinstonSmith
Trusted Activist

Postby Harlow » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:14 am

I agree totally with Winston here. Term limits will be overturned at will.
Harlow

Postby chuckles » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 am

Harlow wrote:I agree totally with Winston here. Term limits will be overturned at will.

and with it democracy and the Constitution. Can we expect Obama to serve more than two terms??
chuckles

Return to Introductions Section