FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

Ocean Conservancy Beach Debris Data

What we have found out, we pass on to you. A posture of prepared attack is often more effective than a defense of disemination and discredit.

Postby gilster » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 pm

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pjhtZL6VSrXyIvsofEzr5Pw

[Interesting stats to park here]
gilster

Postby smallbird » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 pm

I bet smoking-related debris is a smaller volume than all the rest...Counting the debris doesn't estimate the volume. :?

Plus, I'm thinking soft drink bottles, plastic bags and condoms are a whole lot more dangerous to sea life.

Just my opinion. :?
smallbird

Postby beachsmoker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I did the calculations on Florida and California litter. Here is the letter to the editor I wrote. Still awaiting publication.

In a recent article, cigarette butts tops the "most littered" list. So, the worst pollution must be cigarette butts, right? Actually, using Ocean Conservancy 2006 Florida data, 468 lbs of cigarette butts were collected whereas 486,822 pounds of “other stuff” was collected. Thus, cigarette butts equaled 0.096% of all trash collected – that’s nearly 1000 lbs (other) to 1 lb (butts).

In reality, the number of eating-related debris is nearly equal to the number of smoking-related items. When counted together, food/drink debris won first place! And, remember, one cigarette butt is much less harmful to the environment than a 2-liter bottle. With nearly 14,000 large items found dumped (appliances, cars, 55-gallon drums, tires, etc.), how many butts does it take to equal a refrigerator?

In fact, smoking items do not even make the “Top 10 Dangerous Debris Items Collected.” Those honors reside with bags, balloons, crab/lobster/fish traps, fishing line/nets, plastic sheeting/tarps, rope, six-pack holders, strapping bands, syringes.

So, I’d ask you to first research why and how is a report written and highlight the real issues before pointing fingers at today’s pariahs. With obesity the next big social control agenda item, it may be your activities that are singled out next time.
beachsmoker

Postby smallbird » Fri May 02, 2008 12:14 am

Thanks for that beachsmoker! You did the calculations, I hope that they publish your letter and it gets picked up by the wire services! 8)
smallbird

Return to Upcoming or Current National Campaigns by Antis